Monday, July 1, 2013

Elle Deadsex Q&A


ELLE DEADSEX
 


Rememeber "Girl Power"? I miss the days when women really supported each other not just tried to one up one another. Its been awhile since those golden times and the girl power seems to have disappeared. So I'm going to try to bring it back. The month of June I will be featuring the most amazing up and coming women graffiti/street artists. Women are starting to get head to head with some of the top male street artists and they are pushing their way to the top by being more daring, brave, creative, and not being afraid to get into a little trouble in order to have their voice heard. 

I had the opportunity to do a little Q&A with New York City's very own Elle. It's amazing how differently you perceive someone's work after you get to know them a little bit more (in a good way). This ex science major is making a name for herself on the streets allowing her art to come to life on the walls of the world. Elle mentions on her website how she portrays humans and their "skins", their search for "the perfect skin". She portrays this idea so perfectly in her art. In this day in age we are able to express our true individual self so much through clothes or social media that we are constantly shedding our "old skin" to show another layer of who we are or who we have become. I think Elle shows this in her work and therefore a perfect voice for women in this modern society that's filled with constant change. 

 I can not wait to see how her work evolves. She encourages others to add to work which makes it come to life out of the artist's hands. You might find some artists discourage messing with others work but Elle enjoys these secret collaborations. She has even done pre-planned collaborations with street artists from here in New York City to Los Angeles. So keep a look out, I know your going to see a lot more of Elle in the next few years to come. 
It's not just a tag it's an expression of ones soul to strangers. . .

-miishab 



 Q-Was there a moment that sparked your career not only as an artist but as a Streetartist?
 A-Yeah. I was living in New York and walking through Chelsea and feeling dissalusioned with the contemporary art I was seeing in the galleries. As I walked out of one of the galleries I ran into a Swoon and a Gaia and I thought, "whoah, those are such gifts. I want to do that." So I started making street art that week and haven't stopped since!

Q.How long have you been creating?
A-I've always been drawing and making art, but I started graff and street art when I moved to New York about 6 years ago.




      Collab with Shin Shin. Brooklyn, New York


Q-Have you ever been hassled by police?
A-I've been arrested a few times and given tickets for stickering... one of my arresting officers tried to give me his phone number and told me "we could really have fun with these handcuffs sometime." I've had some disturbing experiences with them.


Q- Are you from NYC? And if not where are you from originally?
A-I'm not from New York... I'm a child of the world ;)


    Los Angeles. Sunset and Vine.


    Photo by Nyshitty 


    Photo by Jaime Rojo 


   Fountain Art Fair at The Frying Pan 


Q-Did you attend artschool? Are you self taught?
A-I am mostly self taught. I went to school for science then decided that I didn't want to spend the rest of my life in a laboratory basement. 


Q-What is your goal with your artwork, where do you see it taking you in the future?
A-I never know where my art will take me. It's always fun to see what happens, the creative process is such a mystery. No one knows!




   Albany, New York 2011 

         
     Installing a piece at Fountain Art Fair in Miami


Q-What is your favorite "canvas"?
A- I love painting and pasting on the streets. The weather and other graffiti artists come by and contribute and it's like the work lives and breaths and grows and changes. It's totally ephemeral and alive.


Q-What's yours favorite medium?
A-I like to paint and draw, but I'm also getting really into sculpture lately. I have a massive wax sculpture on my floor right now that I'm currently working on!


Q-How has your work developed?
A-My work is constantly changing. I think it's important to do whatever is most exciting and not fall into a rut of sorts. I love experiment with my work and try new things. Sometimes things work and sometimes it's a disaster, but you learn from both outcomes!


Q- Whose your favorite graffiti artists?
A-Aghh... probably Twist. I saw his tag in a jail cell once and tagged my name right by it. I thought, "Damn, well at least I'm in good company!"


     Jay Maisel Building 

Q-Highlights of being a Streetartist?
A-You can do your work anywhere in the world you go. You are not limited to a space or time. 

Q-Any negative experience?
A-Cops! Grrrr. Jail is expensive and community service is time consuming and obnoxious.


    Los Angeles 


      Collab with Sharky, Los Angeles 


Q-I have seen some fantastic women artist taking to the streets to show there work. In your experience do you know of many women graffiti artists? Do you think women Streetartist have a bigger influence in the graffiti world now versus 5 years ago?
A-I hope that women art having a bigger influence in the graffiti world now than they were 5 years ago. I like to think that I'm contributing to that change. I wanted to show that the women are just as capable and ballsy as the men. I'm having fun with this one ;)

Jay Riggs Fine Art building. Photo by Geoff  Hargadon  




Q- Do you think more women will enter into the graffiti world?
A- Ido think so. There are several great role models now from Claw Money and 17 to Swoon. If they can do it, why shouldn't we?!

Q-What are your favorite places to tag?
A-Hmmm... that's a tricky one. I guess next to x-boyfriend's houses? haha... no, seriously though... so many good places!

Q- If given the opportunity would you show your work at an artshow? Have you already?
A-I have shown my work in galleries. I don't believe in the idea of selling out. An artist should be able to walk, talk, and breathe their art. Why should they flip burgers to be able to make art? If they can make money from their art and graffiti and focus solely on that more power to them. There are some that believe graffiti shouldn't be in galleries- I think to each his own.


   Brooklyn 


I suggest you also check out the link below and follow Elle on Instagram and twitter.


INSTA: ELLE_Deadsex
TWEET: ELLE__ELLE_
WEB: elleStreetArt.c