Monday, November 26, 2012

Macy's day parade... Companion by kaws

Happy belated thanksgiving. Even though I had to work on thanksgiving I was able to go see the balloons get blown up the day before. I am still getting use to new yorks crowd control with barricades that hold you in place. As I walked down 78th street towards Columbus there was no one on the empty street but as I got closer the barricades started to form around me and the sea of people became visible. I didn't realize until it was too late that I was walking the wrong way, against the crowd.... Though she I realized it I just kept going because there was a certain balloon that I wanted to that I was getting closer to. The first balloon was of course santos big red butt.. Then I saw my good old friend sonic, Mickey Mouse, and buzz. The balloon though that made its debut appearance this year was "companion" by kaws. It was about 2 years ago I stumbled upon the statue of companion in the meat packing district and I was surprised and happy to see 2 years later it is now a new star in the Macy's day parade. Everyone around me kept wondering "where this came from" "what is it?" " is it bugs bunny, Mickey Mouse?".... No this piece looks like an old school Disney cartoon at first glance but it is not. He looks like a 1930s cartoon Cthulhu weeping into his Disney like hands. I absolutely love that companion was in the parade. Keeping art alive. I can't wait to see what other surprises this holiday season has in store.
Happy belated thanksgiving.